How long has it been since you've read a book? In this day and age, most of us can confess to spending hours on social media, without meaning too. It's not very often that many of us pick up a book in our free time, even though it has so many benefits for us.
Benefits of reading
- Improves brain connectivity
- Increases your vocabulary and comprehension
- Empowers you to empathize with other people
- Aids in sleep readiness
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate
- Fights depression symptoms
- Prevents cognitive decline as you age
Book recommendations & reviews
- Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman - This is a current international bestseller. Rutger Bregman takes some of the worlds most famous studies and events and reframes them, providing a new perspective on the last 200,000 years of human history. Review - One of the most powerful books I have read for a long time, and a book I have absolutely no hesitation about saying everyone needs to read, and that it will change your life if you do so - Matthew Taylor, RSA
- Sapiens: A Brief History Of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari - This is the million copy seller. In this bold and provocative book, Yuval Noah Harari explores who we are, how we got here and where we're going. Review - One of the best books I've read recently. Gives an excellent overview of how our species has developed - Lily Cole
- 12 rules for life: An antidote to chaos by Jordan B. Peterson - This is a multi-million copy seller. Using his own work as a clinical psychologist and on lessons from humanity's oldest myths and stories. Peterson offers twelve profound and realistic principles to live by. He reminds us we each have a vital role to play in this world. Review - Definitely gives this one a chance. This man's work has completely altered my entire way of looking at the world, and my place in it - Jonny McDobbsy
In most of our accommodations we have a corner for you to wind down with a cup of tea or wine, and a book. We know sitting on the sofa when there is the distraction of a TV that you could switch on can be frustrating. Alternatively If you would prefer to relax in bed before going to sleep, then we do have bedside table lamps too!
What's your favourite book?!